Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 12

GE 26:17-27:46; MT 9:1-7; PS 10:6-18; PR 3:9-10

I always find it interesting how they name everything when something happens. In Genesis they dig a well get in fight and name the place "Esek" = Quarrel.  Dig another well, get in a dispute and call it "Sitnah" = Enmity. Dig another well, everything goes good so they call it "Rehoboth" = Spaciousness.  I don't know why, I just find the names interesting.

vs 26-31: This is a great passage of scripture that truly demonstrates the idea that if God be for us than who can stand against us. Here these guys are causing all these problems then one day they show up and want to make peace. Why? Verse 28 "We have certainly seen that the LORD is with you..." They realized they better make peace because if anything were to really go down they were going to be on the wrong side of the fight.  Be patient and loving and peaceful in all that you do and let God work on the hearts of your enemies.

vs. 34-35: It wasn't just the fact that Esau took two wives but it was the women themselves that caused the grief.  Every parent wants the best for their kids right?  Well these women weren't the best.  They came from a tribe of people who were idol worshippers and Isaac and Rebekah knew that they would be a bad influence on their already straying son.

Ch. 27 just made me think about what we are capable and willing to do to get ahead in life. Are we willing to lie, cheat and steal? What about pretending to be something or someone we aren't? We see it spelled out on the pages and think what a horrible person this guy is, but really how often have we done the same thing. Could you imagine reading your life in a book?  There are probably some chapters and stories we would rather didn't get told. Yet one day they will.  And all these things are done for temporary gain.  God help us!

PR - I like the way this is worded. "Honor the Lord with your possessions." We always talk about the command to give and tithe.  Which it has been said that we are to tithe from our 1st fruits but what if we stopped looking at the "command" and started looking at what it really is...giving honor to God.  I can give because I'm told I have to or I can give because I want to honor my God.  When we do this, we will have all we ever need.

MT vs 12-13: Jesus spent time with those who needed Him the most.  This is why we have to take the church outside of our walls and go to where the people are hurting and most in need. 

vs 14-17:  I'm still studying these but it may be later tonight before I get to them.

1 comment:

  1. I love days like today when I hear God speak to me...It is hard to explain how I hear him. It is not like he is an audible voice but more like a thought that runs through my mind over and over till I hear Him. (He is patient with me cause he knows I'm a little slow) I use to doubt if it was Him or just me wanting to think God was speaking to. Now I know...It is Him. He has wisdom beyond what my poor mind could ever imagine. I am so blessed that I all I have to do is ask Him to share with me and He does. Just like if Tyler or Logan were to ask me to share what I know with them. He wants to help me just like I have the desire to help my children.

    Genesis 25:18
    Poor Ishmael. He did not ask to be born the way he was but yet he must suffer the mistakes of his father. He lived such a hostile life and it continues through his blood line.

    Genesis 26:7
    See a common theme here? His father, Abraham, said the same thing of his wife Sarah.

    I thought I have had during reading today is "like father like son".

    Matthew 8:22
    When I first read this it bothered me. It seemed like Jesus was being a bit heartless about this man who had just lost his father. The disciple ask could he bury his father and Jesus said "Follow Me, and allow the dead to bury their own dead" In the Jewish faith burying your father was very important...But Jesus denied him this comfort...I read it several times with the same result...I was upset with Jesus. I KNOW!! PLEASE BEAR WITH ME....I had to stop and really pray about this. I'm sure the Bible shouldn't evoke feelings of anger towards the only Man who has walked sinless on this earth and gave HIS life for ME. (THIS IS WHERE HE SPOKE TO ME)
    You must pick, NOW... do what is the "norm" and makes you feel good or to follow ME and know it is not the path of ease.
    He demands so much from me and demands it NOW. Not after I do what the world says brings comfort, but NOW! When I feel like I should be turning somewhere else, NOW, TURN and follow Him. He just keeps saying NOW to me. " I know it is hard, I know it is not what all your friends are doing, I know it will bring you pain but NOW is the time!"
    He needs me to follow Him now, just like he needed that disciple right that SECOND to follow Him. What is being lost because I wait? Is my place being filled by someone else who doesn't hesitate? I understand now...He is not heartless but doesn't want me to wait ONE MORE SECOND!!

    Matthew 8:29
    Demons KNOW the Son of God and of his powers!!! I LOVE THIS!!!

    Matthew 9:2
    Take heart son, your sins are forgiven
    He said this first instead of Get up and walk so people would question his authority to forgive sins like the Father. He was showing that He is His Father and His Father is Him.

    I don't want anyone to read what I write and be offended. I would never want that...when I write I don't stop until the words stop. Here is where I sort it out...The love I have for my Father is amazing and unfaltering BUT he is different with me than he is with you. What I mean by that is he will make me feel anger, where he might make you cry. He knows me well enough to know if he makes me mad during reading His Word, than he has hit a nerve and I am open to hear what He needs for me to know. If I have offended you please accept my apologies from here on out.

    ReplyDelete