Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 30

Ex 10:1-12:13; Matt 20:1-28; PS 25:1-11; PR 6:6-11

The whole reading today in Matthew was powerful. The first story Jesus tells reminds me of a message I heard at a conference last year. It was about the danger of comparison.  In this story those who started working earlier in the day felt like they deserved more money than the ones who started working later in the day even though they had agreed to those wages.  How often do we look at what others have and think to ourselves, I deserve what they have?  Why do they keep getting placed ahead of me? Why are they so blessed and not me?  Why can't our church be like that church? Why can't my family be like that family?  We question God and if we are not careful we will allow bitterness to rise up within us and take root deep within our core. As you read down through this story we see again where the mother of James and John (the sons of Zebedee) came to Jesus and asked that her boys be seated on His right and left in the Kingdom.  She wanted them elevated.  Again, we see Jesus correct the situation.  Comparison can be deadly to our souls.  Comparison can tear lives apart.  Comparison is dangerous because you are basing your desires on perception and not reality.  The grass always looks greener but how often have you thought that only to realize it's not?  I'm telling you the last words of Jesus in this section are the greatest words to live by..."the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve." 
To truly be a servant means to never seek the glory of your actions.  It means never being offended if you are not recognized for your efforts.  It means being confident in who you are and what God has called you to do. There will always come a time when you don't think how you're treated is fair, but that's when you have to find your confidence in what God has called you to do.  Stop looking at the people around you and worrying about what they are doing or saying. Thank God that He can use you and me to do what only you and me can do.

1 comment:

  1. The story Zebedee, James and John is one of my favorites. If we go back just a little bit before this story Jesus told them who are first will be last and the last first. Then here goes Zebedee wanting to put her sons before the others. Nothing has changed in 2,000+ years. Most people I come into contact with do what I call self promoting, it’s always about their kids, or their new car, or whatever...It doesn't matter what the subject is because bottom line it is always about them. People don't ever just listen to other people’s problems or woes and be a friend or offer some simple comfort because they become bored or uninterested because it’s not about them. I enjoy listening to others I can learn about them and perhaps be of council but best of all I can usually witness to them. Put others first and if they seem down ask them if they are all right. If you haven't talked to them in a while don’t wait for them to call, give them a call and see how they are doing. Put others first because it’s not all about you...or me!

    ReplyDelete