Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 6

Genesis 13:5-15:21; Matthew 5:27-48; Psalm 6; Proverbs 1:29-33

Genesis 13:10-13 - We can't always trust what we see with our naked eye.  Lot was looking for a good place to live. On the surface, everything about this land around Sodom was great. Green fields, lots of water, a perfect place to pitch a tent and raise some livestock.  So he chooses that land but never took into consideration who his neighbors would be.  How often do we do that in our own everyday lives as well. We look at a situation and think everything looks great and so we jump in and fail to look at the whole picture. What is pleasing to the eye is not always pleasing for the spirit. Can I get an amen?!?! 
Verse 13 reads like a cliff hanger..."The men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the Lord." And then it moves onto a different subject...talk about foreshadowing.  This great looking land of opportunity was about to be Lot's downfall in life.  Don't judge a book by it's cover. Be sure to consult God about every decision in your life. Already that is my message for 2011.  We need to let God back into our EVERYday lives.

Psalm 6 - Just for me. Just for today. Thank you God for your words.
I had a great night at church last night. (Love my Dickson Family)  When I got home I recieved some news that took my breath away  like a punch to the gut. I'm not/can't go into the details right now, but those words David wrote about "I drench my couch with my tears"... that was me last night.  Joy came down a really bad flu bug or something last night (pray for her) so I let her have the whole bed and I stayed out on the couch. But the news that I recieved late last night wouldn't let me rest. I tossed and turned and wept into the cushions.  My eyes this morning feel as though they are about to give out, just as David wrote. BUT praise God for His word, because not only did it describe how I was feeling, it also gave me the encouragement that I needed today. Because I know, just as David wrote, that God hears the voices of the weeping, and He does hear my prayers. Amen

Word of the day - "Supplication" - you'll read it alot, especially in Psalms so I figure you should have a really good grasp of it's meaning.  Look it up and share with the class.  Congrats to Mama V and Jason for the definitions of "jot and tittle." Still just fun to say, especially with a british accent.

Proverbs had one big point that stood out to me among everything else.  Complacency Destroys. Never forget that and never become complacent in your walk with God.

I wanted to point out something in Matthew and you'll have to read back a little to see the whole picture of what I'm talking about.  There has been two repeated phrases in chapter 5. 
1. "You have heard it said" - Jesus would start off with this statement and then tell them something they had already heard.  The people were probably standing there going, "Yeah, so what. We already knew that." But then comes the second phrase that is repeated.
2. "But I say to you"  - Now Jesus brings in the new revelation. 
The law that these religious people were trying to enforce was a shallow, just enough kind of religion.  You know they kind.  I'll do just enough good to make sure I get to heaven.  I'm not gonna kill myself for other people, but I'll help if I have time. Hey as long as I don't go too far, it's not really sin.  Jesus was laying the ground rules and making it clear. This is what I expect from you.  Never be satisfied with man's standard of living.  Instead, listen for what God says and strive for the standard that Jesus  Christ Himself has called us to live.

3 comments:

  1. So today's blog isn't going to be the most in depth think you have ever read...I am in a fog of NyQuil and musinex. I might be sleeping as I type this. I've read most of these passages twice and have came to the conclusion, God would talk to me if I wasn't high on drugs. SO, to keep to my word I have been reading but I am going to go back over these lessons sometime in the future to see what I missed...

    Geniuses 12:2
    Did anyone else notice there are 7 promises made to Abram?

    Genesis 13:7
    A quarrelling arose...
    And it begins...People can fight over anything, it is just our nature...our flesh nature. Literally, as I sit here on the couch, I would like to throw my pen at Kevin for having the TV turned up to a level that seems to make it easy for our neighbors to listen to "UFO'S, ARE THEY REAL??" It is just the way we are, not that it is an excuse. I'm positive God doesn't want me to throw pens at poor Kevin...

    It is why I should get into the Word daily and look to God for our direction the way Abram did and not be like Lot who looked around with his eyes to see what would be best for LOT not for everyone else.

    (On a side note...Ben you may be right...I think this fever is making me cranky!!)

    Matthew
    As I've read Matthew the last two day I realized I haven't had a lot to say...then I noticed everything I've been reading is in red. Jesus has bee doing the talking and I've been listening.

    This is it for today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. GENESIS 13:16

    And I will make your descendants as the dust of the earth; so that if man could number the dust of the earth, then your descendants also could be numbered.

    All I can say about this is man that would be one huge family reunion!


    MATTHEW 5:37 and 5:38-48

    But let you ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.

    We could all learn from this statement! I like what it says Yes or No no in between. Jason is always telling me that things are always black and white to me so maybe that is why this stood out to me.

    5:38-48

    Okay I am not typing all the verses on this one it is just too much! What I got out of reading these verses was “kill em with kindness”. Need I say more?


    PROVERBS 1:29-33

    Not typing these either. To me this like when you tell someone they are making the wrong decision but they do it anyway. Deep down they know you are right but their pride wants them to be right all the more. Some people always have to be the smart one, the right one and a lot of the time they pay a price for it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - With all that reading your not high on drugs you are high on Jesus - After all that is why they call him the most high!!!

    Supplication -The most common form or prayer, Intercession, praying for someone else or even for ourselves. We should be like David and let the lord hear supplication from us daily.

    Matt 5:28 But I say to you whoever looks at a women to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. In my opinion Jesus did not mean this literally, He was saying that lust leads to adultery and the heart is the doorway, It is the opening, fertile ground where the seed of lust is easily sowed. This seed will not produce beautiful flowers it will be a weed that you will not be able to kill...If you find yourself with a large patch of crabgrass in your heart.... call on Jesus and ask him to bring the round up!!!

    ReplyDelete