Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 14

GE 30-31:16; MT 10:1-26; PS 12; PR 3:13-15

GE 30:1-2: How often do we get upset with other or with ourselves over things in our lives that don't go the way we want them to.  We really need to get to a place in our lives where we stop looking around at ourselves and others to place blame and instead begin to look up to God.  It is Him that has answers to so many of life's questions.  I can remember a few years ago, when Joy and I were trying to have another baby. We went months and nothing happened. I don't think we said too much to each other but I know we were both wondering what was wrong with us.  Worry, discouragement, fear and any number of other emotions began to creep into my heart and then I read this verse. No I wasn't angry, but it served as a reminder that God is in control and He knows what he is doing.  It's amazing how often we need to be reminded of that.  I think God is trying to remind me to get my eyes off the things, people, situations around me and look to Him in everything.

This whole passage really shows that when you live your life for God, as Jacob was doing, there is nothing anyone can do to hurt you. Laban was trying everything possible to come out on the better end of their agreement but no matter what He did Jacob got blessed. We would be so much wiser to let God fight our battles for us. Again, just put your trust in Him and let Him be your provider and protector.

MT 10:16-20: This is another passage that shows the same point as above. This shows us again that we must simply do what God asks us to do and to be faithful in that. When we do that we can trust that He will take care of us.  It says that He will send out and there will be those (wolves) out to harm us. So we must be smart to not put ourselves into bad situations (wise as serpents) but at the same time we must keep our integrity and not be sneaky and deceptive (harmless as doves.)  As we follow these directions He tells us that we will be persecuted for our faith but not to worry about what to say because the Holy Spirit will give us the words to say. He truly is our advocate. We spend so much time defending and fighting for ourselves and we really don't win anything.

PS 12 - Let's just continue with the theme shall we? I love how this starts..."Help."  That's what we are required to do. Ask God for help and do our best to live with integrity and righteousness.  As we've been learning in Proverbs to ask for help and then ignore His counsel.  This is what is known as a Psalm of Lament.  That is a Psalm that cries out to God and follows a certain format. I thought I'd explain this because you will see a few of these as you read through Psalms.  Here's what they normally look like:
1. An initial cry out to God
2. The lament itself
"I am hurting"
"You do not care"
"The enemy is winning"
3. A confession of trust
4. Reasons for God to act
5. Requests
"Hear me"
"Save me"
"Punish them"
6. A vow to praise God

The reason I wanted to show this is because this is a model of a godly response to suffering. The Lord does not expect us to remain passive when we face suffering. We can pour out our souls to the Lord. However in the middle of our cry, we must remember God’s loving care for us in the past so we can willingly trust Him with the future. As we remember, it gives us cause to praise Him not only for what has happened but for what will happen. 


2 comments:

  1. Re:GE 30:1-2
    This one hit home again just a few days ago for me. Just when I think I am learning to not let what others say and do bother me, I fail :-( Not always Praise the Lord!!! But the Lord is showing me there are certain people that seem to push my buttons because they just don't seem to get it. Whatever it is...LOL. Well thanks be to God I recognize it as soon as I fail and I pray for the Holy Spirit to help me to keep my focus on Jesus and continue to learn how to die to self. After all you can't hurt a dead woman/man right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt 10:1 - Jesus give the apostles power to heal sickness and disease, to cast out demons. He gave them AUTHORITY to cast out demons not a proton pack, Dr. Egon Spengler was not an apostle. He gave them AUTHORITY to heal sickness and cure disease. If you notice in future reading they did those things in Jesus name. I know we all know this but hear me out because this topic is a pet peeve of mine because I feel everyone believes the apostles did those things because Jesus gave them the authority. It's true he gave them the ability to do such things but only through him. He gave all of us this ability, to simply to call on his name. I feel a lot of people fail to fully recognize the power and authority he gave us. They fail to realize this only works through faith. I know too many people who will pray and it’s like… “Well if you feel like it God please heal so and so. I challenge everyone to change that mindset. Let’s go boldly before God and stand on his word knowing it will be done. Matt 21:21-22 So Jesus answered and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, Be removed and be cast in to the sea, it will be done. “And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” All we have to do is speak his name, I truly believe he has given us all the same authority, to call on his name, to speak it with authority, to stand on his word and if we truly believe 100% miracles will be done.

    ReplyDelete